- Did you know that tomatoes are fruits, not vegetables and peanuts are beans, not nuts?
- Did you know that onions and garlic are members of the lily family? That's right. They're close cousins of that plant you gave Grandma for Easter. Thankfully, Grandma's lily smells better. :-)
- Did you know that Scotch-Bright kitchen sponges (and most of their store brand knockoffs) are color-coded? The blue ones are designed so the scouring pad can be used on non-stick cookware without scratching it. The classic green/yellow ones are not. Use the green ones only on uncoated metal, ceramic, and glass.
- Did you know that soap-impregnated steel wool pads (SOS, Brillo) can be used to remove that yellow film and dark stains on glass baking pans with minimal or no scratching of the surface?
- Did you know that Pyrex heat-proof glass was originally designed for the windows on the space shuttle?
- Did you know that coated metal baking pans with a dark finish encourages browning? If you want cookies and cakes without overdone bottoms, use uncoated aluminum pans and parchment paper.
- Did you know that the top food allergies are Dairy, Egg, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Seafood, Shellfish, Soy, and Wheat?
- Did you know thaextra-sturdy garlic presses with extra-large heads can press a head of garlic with the peel still on? Great time-saver.
Saturday, May 16, 2009
Did You Know...
A few food-related fun facts:
Posted by Justin at 11:41 AM
Labels: Did You Know
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment
I welcome comments. However, please be courteous of others when commenting. I always reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments.