Saturday, March 19, 2011
Crispy Ravioli with Broccoli
1 package frozen ravioli or tortellini (any flavor)
2-4 cups frozen broccoli florets
3 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic, pressed or very finely minced
salt & pepper
grated Parmesan cheese
1) Cook ravioli in boiling water according to package directions or until just cooked. Slightly al-dente (not completely mushy/soft) works best here. Drain and set aside.
2) Place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave uncovered on high for 2-3 minutes or until defrosted and heated through. Drain any water from the bottom of the bowl and set aside.
3) In a very large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the pasta and spread out into a single layer. Season the top with salt and pepper.
4) Cook the ravioli in the butter without moving it or turning it over until the bottoms start to brown and get crispy. Be careful not to burn them.
5) Using a pair of tongs, quickly turn each ravioli over and brown the other side. Remove from the pan into a dish.
6) Lower the heat and melt the remaining butter in the pan. Add the garlic and cook briefly, stirring to soften but do not burn or toast it. Remove the pan from the heat to prevent burning if necessary.
7) Return the pasta and broccoli to the pan and stir or toss to coat with butter and garlic. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Once everything is heated through, remove the pan from the heat and add cheese to taste. Serve immediately.