Sunday, June 12, 2011
2 medium zucchini squash (or yellow summer squash)
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1) In a large bowl, mix the lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper with a whisk.
2) While whisking, drizzle in the olive oil getting it to combine as much as possible.
3) Cut the ends off each squash and cut into 4-inch long pieces (usually, this means cutting each squash in half).
4) Cut each piece in half the long way. Cut each of the remaining pieces in three wedges so that you end-up with about 6 3/4-inch thick sticks.
5) Place all the zucchini sticks into the bowl with the dressing and toss to coat. Light the grill and prepare any other foods you happen to be making for that meal while the squash marinates a bit.
6) When the grill is hot, toss the zucchini in the dressing one more time. Using tongs, place the zucchini pieces one at a time on the grill, white side down. Put bowl of remaining dressing aside--do NOT discard.
7) Allow to cook with the lid closed until they begin to brown. Turn each so that the other white side is facing down and continue grilling until that side is brown and the squash begins to soften.
8) Remove the squash from the grill and place back into the bowl with the reserved dressing. Toss to coat and cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let stand about 5 minutes to absorb more dressing. Toss once more and serve warm.