A couple of weeks ago (yeah, I know...I'm way behind), we had one of the first few chilly nights of the autumn season. What screams dinner on a chilly evening more than soup? The following recipe is something I pulled out of thin air (or rather from the depths of the pantry and refrigerator) and it tasted fantastic, so I thought I'd share it with you.
Bean, Veggie, & Chicken Soup
1 can small white or navy beans
1 can (12 to 16 oz) chicken or vegetable broth
2-3 fresh tomatoes, finely chopped
1 small zucchini, diced
2-3 carrots, diced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken
salt & pepper
water (as needed)
1) In a large pot, saute the onions and carrots in olive oil and a pinch of salt until they begin to soften but do not brown.
2) Add the zucchini and cook 2-3 minutes until it starts to soften as well.
3) Add the tomato and cook 1 minute, stirring.
4) Add the broth and beans. Add water if necessary to get to a good soup consistency (watery, not thick--it will cook down some). Add salt and pepper to taste.
5) Simmer 15-20 minutes until beans and all veggies have softened. Add the chicken and cook until heated through.
6) Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve with toasted crusty bread.